Fourth Day


Today during the morning meeting all of the interns heard a description of imaging science. After the morning meeting, Tristan and I went down to out office where I looked up some information about focal length and aperture for review. Around 10am, we met up with Dmitry and went over more information about CCDs, including a lesson about bit count and ADU (analog- to-digital units). Afterwards, we went to the lab where I continued to learn how to use the camera and the computer program to fully focus an image and analyze the image.

Around 12:30pm, we left for lunch in the reading room. After lunch, I looked up articles and reports about birefringence and phase retardation of light waves. I found information about how birefringent materials work, including how they change the polarization of the light that passes through them by splitting a polarized light wave into a perpendicular and a parallel polarized wave. In the material, one of the waves will be slower than the other because they have different refraction indexes in the material. I still need to figure out how to find the phase retardation, which I will do tomorrow when Peter comes back. Also, tomorrow I will have to teach Peter how to use the camera and the info about birefringent materials, which will help me to understand both topics better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Day

Twenty-seventh Day

Fifth Day